DIY - Ladder

Lately, if you've seen any of my social media posts, I have been completing a lot of DIY projects. I've always loved creating "things" and I regret not taking a woodshop class in high school; it would have made everything a little bit easier.

My latest DIY project that turned out to be harder than I expected was my ladder project. I'm hoping that I can help a true "do it yourself-er" with my mess-ups.


  • wood - it turns out not just any wood because I made it that much harder for myself. Make sure you decide on the thickness first. I didn't and bought 2x4 which were a little too wide for this project so I split them. I should have just bought 2x1.

  • Screws - the main point about the screws is that they are longer than the thickness of your wood or else they aren't doing much.

  • Stain - I ended up finding my new favorite stain at Rona. It's called Early American and I loved the color.

  • Sander - I used the sander to soften some of the tougher spots but it wasn't necessary.


This by no means is the best way to make a ladder. Especially since when I went to screw the runs in some of the holes that I predrilled didn't match up.

  1. Cut the two end pieces. In my case, I didn't cut them at all because I wanted my ladder to be 8ft tall. However, if you need your ladder to be a little shorter you will have to measure and cut.

  2. Next cut the rungs. I knew how wide I wanted my ladder to be so I measured and cut 8, in case I needed extras. It was a good thing. Turns out you should always measure at least twice because some of mine ended up being different lengths.

3. Next, I sanded all of the pieces. This isn't a necessary step but I wanted to do it so that when I hung blankets on it I wouldn't get some pieces of wood stuck to them.

4. Next, I stained them. This part for me was the easiest. It was just like painting, so it flew by. I didn't necessarily follow the instructions. They encourage two coats, I went with one because I liked that you could see the grain of the wood and the stamps. I did make sure to wait 24 hours to make sure that the stain had completely soaked in.